3 replies to this topic

#1 David Levine

David Levine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hi all,

So I am evaluating UpTime, and one of the things I am trying to determine is how our IT staff can be notified in the case of an INternet link outage or an email outage. As none of us carry alpa pagers per se, I am thinking SMS alerts. However I would need some way to connect directly to a cellular network to do this... Has anyone had any experiences here? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

David

#2 Chris Kasza

Chris Kasza

Champion

• Uptime Software
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

Hi David,

The SMS alerts are sent via the email server to an SMS enabled device using the device's email address (ex. 1234567890@pcs.provider.com). If you have access to a third party tool that can send alerts to the SMS device in a different method, you can use the custom alerting feature of up.time to interface with the using a custom script.

http://support.uptim...icle.php?id=065

Cheers,
Chris

#3 David Levine

David Levine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Chris Kasza @ Apr 21 2011, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi David,

The SMS alerts are sent via the email server to an SMS enabled device using the device's email address (ex. 1234567890@pcs.provider.com). If you have access to a third party tool that can send alerts to the SMS device in a different method, you can use the custom alerting feature of up.time to interface with the using a custom script.

http://support.uptim...icle.php?id=065

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris!

I understand that I can use the custom alerting feature in uptime to integrate, but what I am looking for is a device or appliance that I can use to send SMS messages directly over a cellular network in the event that my email servers and / or internet connection are down.

We are likely going to have our monitoring station running as a virtual machine (blade servers), so installing a modem is not really an option - not that anyone has a pager anyway.

So I guess what I am really asking is how are others being alerted if their email or internet connections are down? Just curious...

Thanks,

David

#4 Chris Kasza

Chris Kasza

Champion

• Uptime Software
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

The only solution that I am aware of clients using is modem based SMS alerting. Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions.

- Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users