Photo

File System Capacity Settings - Critical Thresholds?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tkrn

tkrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

I am having an issue and was wondering if there is away around it. Do I need to have a critical threshold? I am looking to only warn but not make the system as down. Is this possible?

Thanks!

#2 Chris Kasza

Chris Kasza

Champion

• Uptime Software
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

You are not required to enter a Critical value; entering only a Warning value is sufficient.

Also, you only need to enter file systems in the Special Cases section if you have some file systems that you want to alert at a different capacity. Since you set the Global Warning Threshold to 85%, you don't need to have an explicit entry for /opt/asp/cachesys/mgr/journal at 85% as well.

#3 Chris Kasza

Chris Kasza

Champion

• Uptime Software
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

What is the issue you are experiencing though?

#4 tkrn

tkrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

We've recently upgraded from Uptime 5 to Uptime 6. This is when this changed. I am unable to put nothing for a critical value. That journal file system it can (and does often) reach 100% but that doesn't mean it's down. There is an alternate 'rollover' location for the application which has much more storage. What is happening since I am forced to put a value, when it reaches 100% it marks the system as down which affects our SLA's which is not accurate.

In Uptime 5, you are correct you could leave the values out. In Uptime 6, you are forced to put a critical value in. Can I use the old script or can I re-import the disk usage script from Uptime 5?

Thanks,

#5 Chris Kasza

Chris Kasza

Champion

• Uptime Software
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

I expect this was an intentional decision by Dev but I'll pass along a request to allow an empty CRIT threshold.

As a workaround, I suggest entering a very large number in the CRIT threshold field and select terabytes from the dropdown, so that the threshold is never exceeded (ex. 1000 TB).

#6 tkrn

tkrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Great suggestion on the threshold for the critical values. I thought it was probably intentional by the development staff.

Thanks Chris!

#7 lefrajea

lefrajea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

I red all the post and I have a question I'm running version 5.5 and I have to enter a value for warning and critical. Is there a walk around to solve this situation. Thanks ins advance

#8 Chris Kasza

Chris Kasza

Champion

• Uptime Software
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

lefrajea,

In up.time 5, you are not restricted to entering a value in the Warning and Critical fields; just make sure that nothing is selected in the dropdown and then you can leave the Warn or Crit field empty.

- Chris

#9 lefrajea

lefrajea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Chris Kasza @ Feb 16 2012, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lefrajea,

In up.time 5, you are not restricted to entering a value in the Warning and Critical fields; just make sure that nothing is selected in the dropdown and then you can leave the Warn or Crit field empty.

- Chris

Sorry but not sure which drop box your talking this is what I have only threshold % that it nothing else

Global Settings Retained Data Tracking
Global Warning Threshold %
Global Critical Threshold %
Exclusions

#10 Chris Kasza

Chris Kasza

Champion

• Uptime Software
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Sorry lefrajea; I mistakenly thought you could leave the field blank in up.time 5 but I guess I was wrong. I would suggest upgrading to up.time 6 to utilize the workaround that I suggested for tkrn. Otherwise, you could enter any values in the Global Warn and Crit fields and then add a Special Case entry where you can leave Warn or Crit empty.

- Chris

#11 tkrn

tkrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

Yes, Chris' workaround worked like a charm. Thanks again.

#12 lefrajea

lefrajea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Chris Kasza @ Feb 16 2012, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry lefrajea; I mistakenly thought you could leave the field blank in up.time 5 but I guess I was wrong. I would suggest upgrading to up.time 6 to utilize the workaround that I suggested for tkrn. Otherwise, you could enter any values in the Global Warn and Crit fields and then add a Special Case entry where you can leave Warn or Crit empty.

- Chris

I'm now at version 7 but I'm still unable to leave the field Global Critical Threshold any idea why

#13 lefrajea

lefrajea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (tkrn @ Jan 27 2012, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am having an issue and was wondering if there is away around it. Do I need to have a critical threshold? I am looking to only warn but not make the system as down. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Sorry I forgot a word so I'm unable to leave the field Global Critical Threshold empty is it normal from what you said I should be able to leave this field empty.

#14 Chris Kasza

Chris Kasza

Champion

• Uptime Software
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi lafrajea,

The product team has decided to stick with the current functionality of the File System Capacity monitor for the time being. The work around stated earlier, using a larger size than the actual disk capacity, is still the best way to eliminate CRIT or WARN alerts.

Regards,
Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users